Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Trip Home

I had a fun and eventful trip back East. It's always good to see friends and family. The nieces are growing up wonderfully, and give daily soundbites good for retelling. For example, I have a low to medium quantity of chest hair. This turns out to be substantially more than my nieces' father. The middle one observed, "you have lots" when pointing at said chest hair after swimming in the lake. For full comedic effect, I should mention she repeated it several times with varying amounts of affect. Sometimes it seemed more of a passionate statement of conviction, at others an observation, still others, like a nuisance that had to be cleared from the mind by simply verbalizing it.

The new family digs are a little larger than I imagined, and better in other ways, too.

I caught about a dozen pretty big fish, did some water skiing, swimming, jumping off of rocks, etc.

I had the misfortune of accompanying someone to the emergency room when she broke her tibia in a tragic RipStick accident.

Life continues to move on with people having kids. One good thing about having gigantic media outlets or, more accurately, globalized culture, is that old friends can always talk about that youtube video or tv show or movie and feel like they were talking about something they experienced at the same time.

That fact, and an astute observation* from another friend have set me off on a journey of understanding that I may update here. Basically, the quest will go something like this: Instead of engaging only in interactions that can and do happen en masse, I will seek out interactions that come more locally and are more unique.



* The observation, which I cannot fully capture here was something like, "We can't really expect people to be good conversationalists because we don't live in a society that shares information like that anymore." Sadly true.

O w3LLz, peeps. HITCHA upz lata! rofl

No comments: